June 12th-15th is Cyber Security Week; this is a campaign from Stay Smart Online (a government initiative) to raise awareness of —
“simple steps anyone can take to protect their personal and financial information when online”.
Stay Smart Online offer these Top Ten Tips for staying secure and smart online:
- Install and update your security software; set it to scan regularly.
- Turn on automatic updates on all your software, particularly your operating system and applications.
- Use strong passwords and different passwords for different uses.
- Stop and think before you click on links and attachments.
- Take care when transacting online – research the supplier and use a safe payment method.
- Only download “apps” from reputable publishers and read all permission requests.
- Regularly check your privacy settings on social networking sites.
- Stop and think before you post any photos or financial information online.
- Talk with your child about staying safe online, including on their smartphone or mobile device.
- Report or talk to someone if you feel uncomfortable or threatened online – download the Government’s Cybersafety Help Button.
You can also subscribe to Stay Smart Online’s Alert Service. This is a free service you can subscribe to (and customise) that provides you with information on the latest computer network threats and vulnerabilities. The alerts are in simple, non-technical, easy to understand language and it also offers solutions for managing these risks. To subscribe click here and stay safe!